With literally just days to go until Samsung will hold their much anticipated press conference to announce the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus, it’s shocking to hear that there has been a MASSIVE leak, leaving very little to the imagination regarding the new phones. After this latest mother-load of a leak well – quite frankly – Samsung may as well not bother… we’ll see what they decide later this week.
So here is a complete list of all the details and images that WinFuture has obtained and leaked.
Design and Display
- The Galaxy S8 has a enlarged 5.8-inch display, compared to the 5.1-inch Galaxy S7
- Galaxy S8 dimensions are 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0mm and 151g (impressive given the device is one gram lighter than the S7)
- The Galaxy S8 Plus has a huge 6.2-inch display vs the 5.5-inch S7 Edge however but no dimensions for it were revealed
- Curved OLED displays (similar to the gentle curvature of the Galaxy Note 7) will be used on both Galaxy S models
- There will be no physical home button, however IP68 water and dust resistance will remain (yay)
- Both models will feature the fingerprint scanner and both will support gesture recognition, including programmable gestures to open specific apps
- An iris scanner will be added to the front of both phones like the Galaxy Note 7 to add a new layer of security and reduce reliance on the fingerprint scanner
- Both phones receive an upgraded 8MP front facing camera (up from 5MP last year), the f/1.7 aperture is unchanged
- Rear cameras however stay at 12MP again but a laser autofocus has been added to Dual Pixel focus “to capture highly dynamic situations” (we’re expecting these cameras to be very fast!)
Pricing and Accessories
- European pricing will be €799 for the Galaxy S8 and €899 for the Galaxy S8 Plus (so we’re expecting prices between £700 – £900 in the UK)
- The colours Black, Blue, Gold, Orchid Gray and Silver will be available at launch (pink/rose gold was previously rumoured but is excluded here so who knows)
WinFuture has also obtained many of the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus press images, some of which you’ll have already noted throughout this article. It shows that the front of the phones have had the biggest design changes whereas the rear of the phone (fingerprint sensor next to the camera aside) looks vaguely familiar with its glass back.
So what else is left to know?
Well leaks previous to WinFuture had suggested that Samsung would make slightly more Galaxy S8 than Galaxy S8 Plus models and they’re expecting to ship around 40-45 million units in 2017 alone.
As such the only area it seems where Samsung could still surprise us is the actual software within the devices. TouchWiz has improved dramatically in recent years and it still seems very little is known about new functionality to work with features like the larger displays and the new ‘desktop mode’.
That said it seems there’s not much else to do for Samsung to attempt to get our pulses racing again as the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus recent exposures really have set a new bar in the leaking community.
That being said we still cannot wait for the press conference!